myEarthLink
News

Weather  

 

The Weather Channel
Clear
41° F
New York, NY
Clear
Hi: 49° / Lo: 37°

Sports   edit

nhl - Scoreboard [hide]

Saturday, January 20, 2018
New Jersey Devils (24-13-8) at
Final
Thursday, January 18, 2018
Washington Capitals (28-14-4) at
Final
No Games Scheduled
Monday, January 22, 2018
Detroit Red Wings (18-20-7) at
Preview

nba - Scoreboard [hide]

Friday, January 19, 2018
Final
Sunday, January 21, 2018
Indiana Pacers (24-22) at
Preview
No Games Scheduled

nfl - Scoreboard [hide]

No Games Scheduled
No Games Scheduled
No Games Scheduled

mlb - Scoreboard [hide]

Saturday, October 21, 2017
New York Yankees (91-71) at
Final
No Games Scheduled
Friday, February 23, 2018
Preview

Market Update  

- By Anora M. Gaudiano, MarketWatch Will tax cuts percolate through to boost economy? It's still early, but so far fourth-quarter earnings season is confirming what most investors had alrea...
More

MarketWatch

 
Sign In to get personalized news, weather and more at myEarthLink.
 

Printable View

Canadian broadcaster cuts Charles Dutoit's name from radio
FILE - In this Oct. 19, 2011 file photo, chief conductor Charles Dutoit rehearses with the Philadelphia Orchestra in Philadelphia. Six more women have stepped forward to accuse the prominent conductor of sexually assaulting them in the United States, France and Canada, including a musician who says the maestro raped her in 1988. (AP Photo - Alex Brandon)
By JOCELYN GECKER
From Associated Press
January 12, 2018 7:39 PM EST

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Conductor Charles Dutoit's name has become so toxic following accusations of sexual assault that Canada's national broadcaster has stopped saying his name on air when radio stations play his music.

"At this point, we are no longer crediting Mr. Dutoit as conductor," said Emma Bedard, spokeswoman for Canadian Broadcasting Corp.

Dutoit served as music director for the Montreal Symphony Orchestra from 1977-2002. He made scores of recordings with the orchestra that make up an important part of the national broadcaster's Canadian repertoire on classical music station CBC Radio Two. But the new policy applies to all CBC stations.

"CBC Radio Two is where these recordings are most often played, but our approach would be the same regardless of channel," Bedard said in emailed statements. Her comments were first reported by the Montreal Gazette.

The policy took effect after The Associated Press reported on Dec. 21 that four women, including three opera singers and an orchestra musician, accused Dutoit of sexual assault. The world-renowned conductor denied the accusations, but eight major orchestras promptly cut ties with Dutoit or distanced themselves from him.

"We began changing how we refer to these recordings at the end of December, and will continue for the time being to simply credit the Montreal Symphony Orchestra," she said.

On Thursday, the AP published a story with six new accusations of assault against Dutoit, including one musician who accused him of rape. Dutoit denied the latest accusations, saying in a statement he was "appalled and sickened" by the rape allegation which he called a "bewildering and baseless charge."

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.